Happy Tuesday the twenty-sixth! Can you believe June is over already?! We in the wedding world are on the outer leg of our busy season but have our eyes set on July. This Tip’s Tuesday is a special one special for our lovely couples that are having late summer nuptials.
With the relaxed summer vibes comes “the big three”. No, I’m not talking about This Is Us but the three biggest complications that come along with July, August, and even September weddings. Heat. Bugs. Rain.
Nothing can kill the blissful summer nights quite like these three things. We have put our heads together and have come up with some inexpensive products that you can purchase to keep the mosquitos, moisture, and sun off your neck on your big day.
Let’s get the grossest out of the way first! The biggest bugs that like to prowl around in Virginia/D.C./Maryland in the summer months include moths, flys, gnats, mosquitos, and the big daddy of ick.. ticks. What can we do about them?!
1. Bug Spray: Amazon, Etsy, or even your local craft stores have the cutest collections of DIY bug spray holders that you can sit out in extremely buggy areas for your guests.
2. Repellant candles: Be careful with these, you don’t want the smell of citronella to hang over your buffet tables but instead opt for natural ones containing mint, eucalyptus, and lemongrass.
3. Repellant flowers: If you are especially concerned about your venue site and it’s not so friendly inhabitants or perhaps have some guests with severe allergies consider utilizing bug repellant florals in your bouquets, tablespaces, and décor. Some of our favorites include Lavender (Pantone color of the year am I right?!), Marigold, and Chrysanthemums.
4. Fans: This is the biggest one we recommend. Maybe your venue doesn’t seem that buggy, or maybe you have in your mind that the tent will be enough deterrent for these critters but remember friends, a tent isn’t a room! It’s a non-permanent structure that mixed with the sweet aromas of salmon, chicken, and peonies can draw quite the crowd. An extremely easy fix, for a small additional cost from your tent company, fans can scatter the flies and gnats especially creating a much more comfortable environment for all.
The bright big sun will look lovely in pictures but won’t do much for your makeup or bodies. Dehydration or heat exhaustion of everyone involved, especially bridal party as the stand during the ceremony, can be a problem that sneaks up but is one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Some of our favorite products that are adorable but efficient include:
1. Parasols: these vintage cuties can be the perfect protection from heat while still giving a sophiscatated design. They can be placed on the seats or in a bucket at the top of the aisle.
2. Programs turned fans: Use your programs not only to welcome guests but give them something to cool off with. Place them on sticks and choose a wide shape to give guests some relief.
3. Sun Hats: A totally unique and fun idea to add some class and flair to your event! Store a basket of sunhats at the top of the aisle for guests to have fun with while they shade their faces.
4. Sunglasses: Perfect for all genders and ages, these sunnies can even be customized with your name or date! Not only do they protect from heat but also double as a party favor.
5. Refreshment Stations: A simple add-on from your caterer can be a relief for guests as they arrive and wait for cocktail hour to begin. Customize your station with lemonades or flavored waters and let the talk among your friends be of your hospitality not the heat!
And lastly, the biggest scare of wedding days. Although rumor has it the April showers bring May flowers, rain is a weather condition which carries well into summer. In Virginia, July and August hold the largest rainfall per inch than any other months! Check out our earlier blog posts for tips on braving the thunderstorms and remember our biggest tip: confirm your rain plan early. Crossing your fingers and stress-checking the weather systems won’t add joy to your day, opt for the indoor ceremony or get the sides for your tent and get ready to party barefoot rather than in rainboots!
Happy 5th official day of Summer and congratulations to all our July and August couples! May your day be dry, shady, and bug-free… and if not, don’t worry! You know exactly what to do now. See you next week!